MONDAY // MARCH 20, 2023
- Cherryh Cansler | Vice President of Events | Networld Media Group
Buena Onda, celebrity Chef Jose Garces’ Baja inspired taqueria is more then a fast casual franchise, it’s a mindset.
In this keynote presentation, industry trailblazers share the brand’s innovative approach to building strategic partnerships and alliances that created the ultimate franchise opportunity in the fast casual marketplace.
- Scott Campanella | Chief Operating Officer | Ideation Hospitality
- Jose Garces | Founder & Chief Culinary Officer | Garces Group
- David Mesa | EVP & Chief Development Officer | Ballard Brands
Sponsored by Schoox
Join us for a Community Give-Back Party, where for one hour we will create care packs (such as hand wipes, toothbrushes, hand sanitizers, water, snacks, tissues and feminine products) for the Lotus House, the largest women’s shelter in the nation that has the capacity to shelter over 500 women and children nightly. They not only provide meals and beds to those in need, but also therapy services, parenting classes, medical and mental healthcare, job readiness training, homework help and so much more.
We’ll then celebrate the opening of the Summit with cocktails, appetizers and live music.
TUESDAY // MARCH 21, 2023
In this session, you will hear four short, thought-provoking talks that will leave you challenged and inspired.
- Workplace Shortage? There’s an Untapped Labor Pool | Blaine Hurst
- Why NFTs, Why Now? | Steve Lieber
- Blaine Hurst | Advisor | Delish Sisters / Blaine Hurst Enterprises, LLC
- Steve Lieber | VP Franchise Business Development | BurgerFi
Sponsored by TASK
As restaurants battle labor and supply shortages, they are leaning on technology to increase efficiency and cut costs, which often leads to remodeling plans.
Speakers in this session talk about their recent redesigns.
- Yianni Kosmides | CEO | Apola Greek Grill
- Mark Mele | Chief Development Officer | Paris Baguette America
Sponsored by QikServe
When it comes to restaurant automation, the options are endless and can range from something as simple as using point-of-sale technology and analytics to make smarter decisions to deploying higher-tech platforms like burger- or salad-making robots.
This session explores customer-facing automation, such as QR codes, cloud-based POS systems, and delivery and takeout options as well as technologies to enhance the back-of-house, such as kitchen displays automated inventory management and robotic kitchens.
- Phil Crawford | Chief Technology Officer | CKE Restaurants
- Desi Saran | Founder & CEO | Sweetberry
- Jason Valentine | Chief Strategy Officer | Botrista Technology
Sponsored by Botrista Beverages
While many brands put international expansion on hold over the past couple of years, those same companies are once again beginning to explore global opportunities.
Experts in this session will discuss how to know when the time is right to go global and share what they’ve learned as they’ve pushed outside their home turfs.
- Beto Guajardo | President | Focus Brands International
- Thomas Stager | President | Krystal
Last-mile delivery is one of the most expensive and challenging parts of providing a solid delivery service, but speakers in this session reveal how they’ve not only cut costs but also found ways to overcome the usual headaches, such as lack of brand control and visibility, being forced to work with multiple fleets and losing customer data.
They’ll also discuss the pros and cons of deploying AI-powered platforms and implementing delivery drones.
- Sean Kennedy | President & CEO | Cowboy Chicken
- Olga Sagan | Owner | Piroshky Piroshky
As food costs rise, most restaurants can’t afford to give discounts to lure customers, but after relying so long on coupons, dollar-offs and freebies, what’s a brand to do?
It’s actually simple, according to the experts on this session, who reveal how they’ve created loyalty platforms that incentivize without crushing their bottom lines.
- Blake Johnson | VP of Marketing | Mongolian Concepts
- Stacy Moss | Director of Brand Marketing | Noodles & Company
- Laura Sporrer | Senior Marketing Manager | Teriyaki Madness
Regardless of the type of franchise model you use and whether you have one franchise partner or 100, it may be time to reevaluate how you are doing business. This panel discusses the pros and cons of each franchising model -- direct franchising, joint venture and master franchising -- as well as how to choose and use tech platforms to help you button up operations.
- Brady Lee | Chief Operating Officer | President | United Franchise Group | Graze Craze
- Andrew Sternburg | Chief Development Officer, Americas | Gong cha
It may seem impossible to cut costs and grow, especially when back office development teams are getting leaner, desirable retail locations are harder to find, supply chains are stalling and food costs are soaring, but this panel of cost-conscious experts will share how they've adapted to a volatile market with a little real estate and operations creativity, through the use of technology and a lot of trial and error.
- Eric Easton | Chief Financial Officer | Ampex Brands
Sponsored by Leasecake
Operators hear pitches all the time about products and services that will grow their business, but where’s the proof? We’ve got it right here.
This session includes three 15-minute presentations, each featuring one vendor and one operator sharing the how, when and ROI behind recent rollouts.
Join us at Ball & Chain in Little Havana, one of Miami’s premiere bar and lounges.
Ball & Chain is a historic Miami live music venue and restaurant dating back to 1935. The restaurant boasts fabulous Cuban fare, and the bar features themed cocktails from renowned mixologists.
We’ll enjoy cocktails, delicious food, a live band and salsa dancing.
WEDNESDAY // MARCH 22, 2023
Grab your breakfast and join us for small group discussions about some of the most pressing issues facing restaurant operators today. These informal group discussions allow attendees to learn from one another’s mistakes and successes.
Millennials taught us that customers wanted personalized experiences, but Gen Z is taking that to a whole new level. In fact, 58% will pay more for products targeted to their personalities, but only if you can get them to order, which might be a problem, considering that they are the generational least interested in dining and ordering out.
According to NPD Group, people between the ages of 18 and 24 ordered from restaurants 218 times on average between February 2021 and February 2022. When Gen Xers were that age, in 2002, they patronized restaurants 284 times apiece in a year. And when Millennials were that age they went to or ordered from restaurants 244 times in the course of a year.
This session will dive into what your brand can do to entice this younger cohort.
- Andrew Glantz | Founder & CEO | GiftAMeal
- Bill Phelps | CEO | Dave's Hot Chicken
- Chris Smith | Owner | Zunzi’s and Zunzibar
Supply chain delays can obviously be detrimental to a restaurant’s menu offerings, but restaurants are also facing issues when it comes to non-food related items like replacement parts and new equipment. Also, the higher demand for carry out and delivery has led to shortages on packaging as well.
This session will focus on how everyone in the industry from shippers and growers to operators and manufacturers can work together to resolve these disruptions, which lead to higher costs and longer wait times.
- Patrick Conlin | President | Wayback Burgers
- Anissa Mandell-Chance | SVP, Supply Chain | Focus Brands
- Matt Stanton | Partner & Chief Growth Officer | Mici Italian
- Samir Wattar | COO | Layne’s Chicken Fingers
Sponsored by SynergySuite
Dynamic pricing, the process of regularly adjusting the pricing of menu items to match the current level of demand, may sound like a headache, but just like your restaurant has peak times, so do food items and your pricing should reflect this.
This session features restaurant execs discussing why they’ve adopted dynamic pricing and its pros and cons.
- Mike Sebazco | President | Famous Toastery
- Heidi Stirkkinen | CEO | Kotipizza Group Oy
In the labor-pressed restaurant industry, it's imperative to get the most out of every worker, which is where training and technology come in handy.
This session features best practices in developing a training strategy, new modes of training that restaurant owners are leveraging and up-and-coming technology trends that are already proving how employers can do more with less.
- Neil Thompson | VP, Digital | HMS Host
- Rachael Nemeth | CEO & Founder | Opus Training
Sponsored by Opus
A solid marketing plan includes more than catchy social media photos, witty slogans, word-of-mouth clout and a well-working loyalty program. Although each is important on its own, they must also work together to connect customers via in-store as well as digital messaging.
This session offers tangible ways to not only entice customers to give your brand a try but to also keep them coming back for more.
- Claudia Lezcano | CEO | Fuku
- Jason Pierret | Vice President, Business Development | UMI
Sponsored by UMI
This panel, packed with CEOs and franchisors, will talk about the latest issues of the day and what it takes to succeed in franchising.
This session will definitely be worth staying until the end of the Summit.
- Ramon Bourgeois | CEO (Acting) & COO | Tony Roma's
- Betsy Hamm | CEO | Duck Donuts
- Ray Titus | CEO | United Franchise Group
- Charles Watson | CEO | Tropical Smoothie Cafe
View 2022 Agenda