4:00 pm | Registration opens
5:00 pm | Opening Keynote Session
Carl Howard, CEO of Fazoli’s, discusses how he joined the failing American quick-service brand in 2008, and quickly transformed it into a thriving fast casual brand that has reported strong growth and sales over the past few years.
Chief Executive Officer
6:00 – 8:00 pm | Opening Reception
Join us at the start of the Summit for a chance to network with attendees, speakers and sponsors over cocktails and hors d’oeuvres.
8:00 am | Registration & Breakfast
8:45 am | Opening Remarks
• Cherryh Cansler | Director of Editorial | Networld Media Group
9:00 am | Keynote Session
Hear from Carl Reader, author of The Franchising Handbook: How to Choose, Start and Run a Successful Franchise and The Startup Coach; Director of d&t and Affiliate Forum Chair of the British Franchise Association whose key goal is to help businesses to start, grow and franchise. Widely regarded as the UK’s leading expert and advisor to small businesses, Carl prides himself on offering straightforward advice to businesses looking to start, grow or franchise… and lives by the simple ethos of “rolling your sleeves up and take action”.
The Franchising Handbook and The Startup Coach
10:00 am | Refreshment Break
10:30 am | Panel Session
How can you manage your marketing to keep a central voice when working with franchisees? Is it OK to allow the franchisee to control his own messaging or does that lead to a disjointed brand voice? Our experts will answer these questions and more to help you keep control of your brand without stifling your franchisees.
• Brian Duckett | Chairman | The Franchising Centre
• Eric Ersher | CEO | Zoup!
• Tommi Tervanen | CEO | Koti Pizza Group
• David Drain | Senior VP of Events | Networld Media Group
11:30 am | Refreshment Break
12:00 pm | Panel Session
We live in a technology age — loyalty apps, email and text messaging, digital menu boards, geofences — but do you have to have it all? And if you are a small brand where do you start? Our panel will discuss the differences among the tech platforms, which they like best and how they make their tech budgets work for them.
• Philip Benton | Lead Analyst, Services & Payments | Euromonitor
• Jerry Gamez | Partner & EVP, Chief Development Officer |Consumer Investment Partners AG
• Larry Kruguer | President of International | Wingstop
• Daniel Brookes | Visual Retail Segment Marketing Manager | Intel Corporation
1:00 pm | Lunch & Learn
When it comes to your restaurant’s kitchen, the future is now. This revelation comes at an apt time for restaurateurs faced with labor shortages, high turnover and demanding customers, who expect quick, cheap and high-quality food. This panel will not only discuss today’s must-have automated equipment, but experts will share tips on creating streamlined processes to help kitchens save time and money, while increasing energy efficiency and achieving higher food quality.
• Colin Lacey | VP of Service, KitchenCare | Welbilt EMEA
• Shane O’Neill | Field Marketing, EMEA | Welbilt
2:15 pm | Refreshment Break
2:30 pm | Panel Session
Brands often get hung up on not having a budget for major marketing campaigns, but many initiatives can be executed with little time and money. This panel of innovative thinkers will show you how they reached thousands without spending thousands… or even hundreds.
• Bill DiPaola | President & Chief Operating Officer | Dat Dog Enterprises
• Stacey Kane | Sr. Director of Marketing – Fast Casual | ThinkFoodGroup
• Laura Sporrer | Director of Franchise Development | HuHot Mongolian Grill
• Cherryh Cansler | Managing Editor | FastCasual.com
3:30 pm | Break
3:45 pm | Panel Session
Fast casual brands have popped up all over America and are now going global. Spurred by the popularity of customization and technology that allows high-quality food to be cooked in a couple minutes, the fast casual trend isn’t slowing. This panel dissects the trend to give attendees an inside look at the segment’s best practices and to help them understand how the fast casual model of offering quick, inexpensive but high-quality food is being applied to not only chains with standard delivery practices but also to those delivering in-store offerings to customers ordering via digital channels.
• John Aizlewood | Market Growth Officer | Pizza Hut Europe
• Mario C. Bauer | CEO | Vapiano Franchising International
• Daniel Spinath | Founder & Managing Director | Crepeaffaire
• Christina Dorobek | Chief Sales Officer | LevelUp
4:45 pm | Break
5:00 pm | Panel Session
Whether you’re taking your brand global or to a different neighborhood, controlling the supply chain is imperative to a successful business. This panel will teach you how to navigate the supply chain and learn ways to set up relationships that benefit both franchisor and franchisee.
• Richard Downs | Director of Franchising and Business Development | Casual Dining Group
• Rafik Farouk | VP, Franchise Development and Operations | Consolidated Restaurant Operations, Inc.
• Stuart Fitzgerald | CFO and co-founder | Freshii GB
• Steven Rodgers | Vice President, Business Development – Analytics/Supply Chain/Promotions | HAVI
6:30 – 9:30 pm | Dinner Party
After a full day of informative and inspiring sessions, get ready for an evening of great food and great conversation. Attendees of the Restaurant Franchising & Innovation Summit will be treated to a private dinner party in the courtyard next to the Grange City Hotel, beside the last remaining section of London’s Roman Wall – which stands undamaged from when it was originally patrolled by Roman sentries. The dinner party is included with your Summit registration at no additional cost.
8:00 am | Breakfast
9:00 am | Small Group Discussion
The Brain Exchange breaks attendees into small groups to discuss some of the most pressing issues facing restaurant operators today. These informal group discussions allow attendees to learn from one another’s mistakes and successes.
10:30 am | Refreshment Break
11:00 am | Keynote Session
Launched in 2004, LEON, a quick- service brand based in the UK, set out to prove that fast food can taste good, do you good and be kind to the planet. LEON’s founder and CEO John Vincent will share his vision behind the brand known for serving fun, fresh food quickly and at an affordable price.
He will discuss his strategy for bringing the best food to the most people, his outlook on building a brand with purpose and how the key to LEON’s successful growth has been its people.
• John Vincent | Founder and CEO | LEON
Founder and CEO
12:00 pm | Break
12:15 pm | Panel Session
Restaurants that offer new flavors and menu items before their customers even realize they want them will not only win with millennials, but diners of all ages. This session will break down the world’s food trends to help you provide this year’s must-have menu offerings. What’s the next salted caramel or the new sriracha? We’ll tell you!
• Dr. Saleh Alfuraih | Owner | iBurgEr
• Andrew Gruel | CEO & Founder | Slapfish
• Steven Novick | Founder | Farmstand
• Cherryh Cansler | Managing Editor | FastCasual.com
1:15 pm | Lunch
2:00 pm | Panel Session
Relying on robots to enhance customer service and control operations is no longer, “coming soon.” The day has come, and while a few restaurant brands have made headlines by adding robotics, it’s just a matter of time before these automated processes are standard procedure. This session takes a look at the pros and cons of automating everything from burger flippers to order takers.
• John Miller | Founder and CEO | CaliBurger
• Jamie Bugler | Retail & Digital Out of Home BDM | Samsung Electronics
3:00 pm | Refreshment Break
3:30 pm | Closing Keynote Session
All execs dream of taking their businesses global, but how do you know if you are ready to expand your franchise beyond your borders? Justin Livingston, VP of Development, Coyote Ugly Saloon, has been in your shoes and will share how the American brand made the leap toward global domination. He’ll describe some of the successes and failures of the brand, which now has 20 units around the world, and offer tips as well as a list of pros and cons to consider before going outside your home base.
VP of Development
Coyote Ugly Saloon
4:30 pm | Summit adjourns
Agenda and speakers are subject to change.